THE AFRICA BAZAAR MAGAZINE
January 8, 2020
United States President Donald J. Trump on Wednesday assured a perturbed America and the rest of the world that no American or Iraqi lives were lost during Tuesday’s night attack carried out by the Iranian regime on U.S. military bases in Iraq.
Addressing the nation from the Grand Foyer inside the White House, President Trump said although the military bases at Al-Assad and Irbil in Iraq did sustain damages, there were no casualties, all American and collision forces and personnel are safe.
“The American people should be extremely grateful and happy no Americans were harmed in last night’s attack by the Iranian regime,” President Trump told the nation in his speech. “We suffered no casualties, all of our soldiers are safe, and only minimal damage was sustained at our military bases. No American or Iraqi lives were lost because of the precautions taken, the dispersal of forces, and an early warning system that worked very well. I salute the incredible skill and courage of America’s men and women in uniform.”
According to the Pentagon, Iran launched more than a dozen ballistic missiles against U.S. military bases in Al-Assad and Irbil in Iraq, hosting U.S. military and coalition forces. Due to the attacks, and the dynamic of the nature of the situation, these military bases have been put on high alert.
The Pentagon said while it continue to assess the damages, it has “taken all appropriate measures to safeguard U.S. personnel and partners” in response to Iranian threats and actions and will continue to take all necessary measures to defend “U.S. personnel, patterns and allies in the region.”
The latest attacks from Iran were in response to the killing of one of its top leaders, Qasem Soleimani. Mr. Soleimani was killed by a U.S. military while traveling in Iraq.
On Sunday, National Security Advisor Robert C. O’Brien told journalists during a press call that President Trump directed the U.S. military to kill Soleimani, a report which the American President confirmed in his remarks.
“Last week, we took decisive action to stop a ruthless terrorist from threatening American lives. At my direction, the United States military eliminated the world’s top terrorist, Qasem Soleimani. As the head of the Quds Force, Soleimani was personally responsible for some of the absolutely worst atrocities,” said President Trump. “Soleimani’s hands were drenched in both American and Iranian blood. He should have been terminated long ago. By removing Soleimani, we have sent a powerful message to terrorists: If you value your own life, you will not threaten the lives of our people.”
The American president said he plans to impose additional punitive economic sanctions on the Iranian regime. “These powerful sanctions will remain until Iran changes its behavior.”
President Trump also urged NATO allies, United Kingdom, Germany, France, Russia, and China to “break away from the remnants of the Iran deal- or JCPOA— and work with the U.S. to make a new deal with Iran that “makes the world a safer and more peaceful place.”
“Iran must abandon its nuclear ambitions and end its support for terrorism. The time has come for the United Kingdom, Germany, France, Russia, and China to recognize this reality,” President Trump urged. “We must also make a deal that allows Iran to thrive and prosper, and take advantage of its enormous untapped potential. Iran can be a great country.”
He underscored in his remarks that “peace and stability cannot prevail in the Middle East as long as Iran continues to foment violence, unrest, hatred, and war. The civilized world must send a clear and unified message to the Iranian regime: Your campaign of terror, murder, mayhem will not be tolerated any longer. It will not be allowed to go forward.”